Sentencing Calculation Error 2015
In 2015, there was a discovery of a long-standing sentencing computation issue that resulted in a narrow subset of inmates being given excessive “good time” and leaving prison early. Subsequently, case reviews were completed for all inmate sentences potentially affected and a software fix to the computation issue was implemented in 2016.
Releases between December 17, 2011 – December 17, 2015.
|Potential Sentence Recalculated Inmate Releases
Any inmate released with a flat-time enhancement/mandatory count.
After review, inmate never owed time and no additional review is necessary.
|Compliant after release
After review, inmate is eligible for day-for-day credit for time spent in community (Roach Decision) and no longer owes time. No additional review.
|Case reviews not completed||00|
|Total identified for return to confinement
After review, inmate owes time on his/her sentence and an arrest plan was initiated.
|Alleged crime within window
After review, inmate's criminal history record shows a gross misdemeanor, misdemeanor or felony charge/arrest during the window of time he/she would have otherwise been in prison. (Committed Alleged Crime Within Window List.)
|Abscond within window
Any inmate with an arrest review that includes a supervision violation for abscond or failure to report with a warrant issued during his/her window of time between actual release and new calculated release date.
|Still owe time
Any inmate who still owes time and has been identified for arrest, but the arrest review does not show a conviction or violation in the window.
|Warrant cancelled after arrest plan
Any active warrant was cancelled because the person earned Roach credits for day-for-day time in the community prior to arrest.
All releases granted a furlough.
Average number of days by which the release date was inaccurate.
Information will be posted to this page as it becomes available.
- Releases of Inmates 2002-2011 with Review Status Listed (posted 6/6/16)
- Senate Subpoena Process Flowchart (posted 2/10/16)
- IT Chronology (posted 2/5/16; updated 2/8/16)
- Email — 2002 (posted 2/5/16)
- Washington State Senate Memo: First Installment of Documents (posted 2/1/16)
- Sentencing Recalculation Data Presentation – January 26, 2016 (posted 1/26/16)
- DOC Releases All Inmate Names (posted 1/25/16)
- Releases of Inmates July 2002 – December 2011 Potentially Affected by Sentencing Error (posted 1/25/16; updated 5/27/16)
- Public Disclosure Requests and Status (posted 2/5/16)
- Quality Assurance Process Map (posted 1/25/16)
- Senate Law & Justice/Senate Accountability and Reform Committees Presentations
- DOC Management Systems and Processes – January 18, 2016 (posted 1/19/16)
- Department Culture, Audit, Ethics, and Quality Assurance – January 18, 2016 (posted 1/19/16)
- Case Reviews Completed List (posted 1/14/16; updated 3/8/16)
- Sentence Calculation Example Video (posted 1/13/16)
- Senate Law & Justice Committee Presentation – January 11, 2016 (posted 1/12/16)
- Sentenced Recalculated Inmates Statistics
- Committed Alleged Crime Within Window List (posted 1/8/16; updated 1/25/16)
- Apprehended List (posted 1/8/16; updated 1/21/16)
- DOC Staff Memo: OMNI Solution (posted 1/5/16)
- Process and Roles Map – Updated (posted 12/29/15; updated 1/25/16)
- DOC Staff Memo: Sentence Recalculated Inmate Arrest and Notification Protocols (posted 12/31/15)
- Process Maps for Placement in Prison, Work Release or Jails (posted 12/31/15)
- Organizational Charts (posted 12/31/15)
- PRESS RELEASE: Corrections Secretary Contacts Victim's Mother (posted 12/31/15)
- PRESS RELEASE: Department of Corrections Responds to Investigative Report on Sentencing Error (posted 02/25/16)
- Emails – December 2012 (posted 12/30/15)
- Explanation of Roach Decision (posted 12/29/15)
- Furlough Part 1 – Memo (posted 12/29/15)
- Furlough Part 2 – Protocol Process (posted 12/29/15)
- PRESS RELEASE: Corrections Secretary Offers Apology (posted 12/28/15)
- Information for Families (posted 12/24/15)
- Information for Inmates (posted 12/24/15)
- Information for Callers (posted 12/24/15)
- "Good Time" Compliance Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) (posted 12/22/15)
- "Good Time" Compliance Timeline (posted 12/22/15; updated 2/5/16)
- What is sequencing? (posted 12/22/15, updated 1/9/16)
- PRESS RELEASE: Governor Inslee announces immediate actions to fix 13-year-old sentencing errors discovered at state prisons (posted 12/22/15)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q: Who are the inmates returned to a correctional facility? (posted 12/29/15)
A: Please see the Apprehended List (originally posted 1/8/16)
Q: What is the name of the software vendor involved in updating the Offender Management Network Information (OMNI) system? (posted 12/29/15)
A: Sierra-Cedar (Sierra Systems)
Q: How is the Department working with victims on this matter? (posted 12/28/15)
A: The Department of Corrections has an office for victim notification and assistance. For those who have been notified of an inmate's upcoming release, we are providing updated notification as soon as possible of the re-calculated release date for those cases impacted by the error. If any victim or survivor has a question about how the re-calculation affects the sentence of a specific inmate, they may call the DOC Victim Services Program at (800) 322-2201.
Q: What is the name of the inmate in the particular case that caught the initial error in 2012? (posted 12/24/15)
A: Curtis Robinson
- DOC 357042
- Admitted: April 2, 2012
- County of conviction: King County
- Crime of conviction: Second degree Assault with a Deadly Weapon
- Sentence: 18 months; 6 for Assault and 12 for Enhancement
- Initial Earned Release Date: February 5, 2013
- Recalculated Actual Earned Release Date: March 22, 2013
Q: Can we get the name of the victim who pointed out the error? (posted 12/24/15)
A: Victims' names are exempt from public disclosure. Because we knew there was media interest, our victim services unit reached out to the family and they have requested their names not be released.
Q: Who are the initial five returned to a correctional facility? (posted 12/24/15)
A: Please see table below.
|DOC #||Last Name||First Name||County||Crime||Enhancement||Original Release||Adjusted Date|
|376600||Williams||Eugene||King||Assault 2||Deadly Weapon||12/7/2015||1/22/2016|
|359354||Davis||Bobby||Skagit||Assault 2, Burglary 1||Deadly Weapon, Deadly Weapon||12/10/2015||1/31/2016|
|341496||Iman||Paul||Pierce||Robbery 1||Deadly Weapon||12/15/2015||2/9/2016|
|873866||Adams||Jesse||Snohomish||Assault 2 with Deadly Weapon, Unlawful Possession of a Firearm 2||Firearm, Firearm||12/7/2015||2/9/2016|
|377317||Acevedo||Eduardo||Yakima||Robbery 2||Deadly Weapon||12/8/2015||2/24/2016|