Below are Department of Corrections (DOC) policies that apply to research and data analytics.
Below are Department of Corrections (DOC) forms which are applicable to research and data analytics.
Laws & Regulations
Below are federal and state laws (RCWs) that apply to and/or relate to research and data analytics.
- Code of Federal Regulations, Title 45, Part 46 (45 CFR 46)
CFR Title 45 Public Welfare, Part 46 Protection of Human Subjects, provides the United States Department of Health & Human Services' basic policy for the protection of human research subjects, as well as additional protections for other special groups including but not limited to biomedical and behavior research involving prisoners as subjects.
Revised Code of Washington (RCW)
- RCW 42.48.020 – Access to personal records.
A state agency may authorize or provide access to or provide copies of an individually identifiable personal record for research purposes.
- RCW 42.48.040 – Disclosure by research professional.
No research professional who has established an individually identifiable research record from personal record information for the explicit purpose of research, may disclose such a record in individually identifiable form unless certain stipulations are met.
Reports & Studies
The following studies include data related to all inmates under the jurisdiction of Washington State Department of Corrections (DOC), including those inmates who are incarcerated or serving a sentence that requires community supervision. Depending on sentencing guidelines and legislated policies, data will vary in years of available data and reporting limits. The reports and studies are intended for educational and informational purposes.
- Correctional Industries Employment Recidivism (10/2011)
- Housing Voucher Study (R 03/2011)
- Identifying Traumatic Brain Injury and Developmental Disability in Prison (01/2013)
- Offender Demographic Characteristics by Release and Recidivism 2009 (06/2013)
- Operation Place Safety – First Year in Review (6/2014)
- Parenting Sentencing Alternative (PSA) Legislative Work Group Presentation (02/2012)
- Prison Violence Preliminary Study (10/2009)
- Racial Disparity Executive Summary (R 07/2014)
- Racial Disparity Loss of Liberty (02/2009)
- Recidivism Rate Outcomes for 2007 (09/2011)
- Recidivism Revisited (08/2010)
- Tracking Washington State Offenders Pilot Study: Do Education Programs Affect Employment Outcomes? (03/2011)
- Washington State 3–Year Recidivism Rates (04/2012)
- Research Process Flow Chart (04/2019)
- Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS)
- Caseload Forecast Council (CFC)
- The Evergreen State College – Sustainability in Prisons Project (SPP)
- The Pew Center on the States (PEW)
- Washington State Institute for Criminal Justice (WSICJ)
- Washington State Institute for Public Policy (WSIPP)
Online Publications: Reports & Studies
- 20 Years in Sentencing (CFC, 2010)
- Caseload Forecast Council Sentencing Publications
- Digging Deeper: Exploring the Value of Prison-Based Dog Handler Programs (WSU, 2017)
- Does Participation in Washington's Work Release Facilities Reduce Recidivism? (WSIPP, 2007)
- Evidence-Based Public Policy Options to Reduce Future Prison Construction, Criminal Justice Costs and Crime Rates (WSIPP, 2006)
- Increasing Earned Release from Prison: Impacts of 2003 Law on Recidivism and Criminal Justice Costs (WSIPP, 2009)
- Mandatory Minimum Confinement for Community Custody Violators (CFC, 2010)
- New Risk Instrument for Offenders Improves Classification Decisions (WSIPP, 2009)
- One in 100: Behind Bars in America (PEW, 2008)
- One in 31: The Long Reach of American Corrections (PEW, 2009)
- Strengthen Community Corrections (PEW, 2008)
- Statistical Summary of Adult Felony Sentencing (CFC, 2010)
- Using Behavioral Insights to Increase Incarcerated Parents’ Requests for Child Support Modifications: Full Report (OPRE, 2016)
- Using Behavioral Insights to Increase Incarcerated Parents’ Requests for Child Support Modifications: Executive Summary (OPRE, 2016)
- Using Behavioral Insights to Increase Incarcerated Parents’ Requests for Child Support Modifications: Research Snapshot (OPRE, 2016)
- Washington State Recidivism Trends: Adult Offenders Released From Prison, 1990 – 2006 (WSIPP, 2011)