The Department of Corrections (DOC) recognizes the need to engage families and friends in the reentry process, and visits help inmates preserve healthy relationships. However, sometimes physical visits are impossible or inconvenient. Video visitation is a virtual way to talk face-to-face with an incarcerated friend or relative from the comfort of your own home, and it is available at all prison facilities.
See DOC Policy 450.300 Visits for Incarcerated Individuals and DOC Policy 450.300 – Attachment 1, Video Visiting for detailed information about visiting inmates incarcerated at DOC prison facilities.
Eligibility & Requirements
Video visits are subject to the same policy and application processes as Prison Visits. To be eligible for a video visitation you must:
- Be on an inmate's approved visitor list
- Have a JPay account (you will need the inmate's DOC Number to start an account)
- Have internet access*
- Have a personal computer that includes speakers, microphone, and a webcam*
*Per DOC Policy 450.300 – Attachment 1, Video Visiting, visitors must provide their own equipment and the necessary internet connections to participate in video visiting.
Inmates will use video kiosks, and privacy screens will be provided and must remain in place for the duration of the visit.
Rates & Scheduling
Video visits will be scheduled by the approved visitor through JPay at least 24 hours in advance. Visits will be scheduled in 30 minute increments and may not exceed one hour in duration. Video visits will be scheduled on a first come, first served basis.
Additionally, please keep in mind:
- Inmates will not be excused from work or programming to participate in video visits. Request visit times that will not conflict with their schedule.
- Video visit hours are determined by each prison facility. See a facility's visitor guidelines for video visiting hours.
Conduct & Monitoring
Regular visitation rules apply (see DOC Policy 450.300 Visits for Incarcerated Individuals and facility visitor guidelines). Additionally, per DOC Policy 450.300 – Attachment 1, Video Visiting, the following is prohibited during video visits:
- Any display of nudity
- Behavior or actions that are sexual in nature
- Use or display of any weapons, drugs/alcohol, or related paraphernalia
- Activity or display of graphics/paraphernalia associated with any Security Threat Group
- Unlawful activity or depiction of unlawful activity
- Recording/filming of the visit or visit participants by the visitor(s) or any third party
A visitor who engages in prohibited conduct may be suspended or terminated from video visiting privileges. Regular visiting privileges may also be suspended/terminated. Allowing an individual who is not an approved visitor to participate in video visiting may also be grounds for suspension.
All video visits will be recorded, and designated employees will monitor video visits for compliance with policy and facility rules.