The Department of Corrections (DOC) recognizes the benefits when inmate's maintain family relationships during incarceration and supervision and acknowledges the many barriers that make maintaining these relationships difficult. In an effort to address these barriers, the Department established and maintains family councils.
About Family Councils
Family councils advise, collaborate, problem solve, and partner with the Department and the community to:
- Improve communications with the Department,
- Create opportunities to strengthen family and community connections,
- Improve quality of life for those incarcerated,
- Promote successful reentry,
- Provide family input on related policies and operational memorandums, and
- Address local and statewide issues/concerns that affect a broad range of those incarcerated and their families
Family is broadly defined to include immediate, extended, and elected family members, such as romantic partners, friends, neighbors, and clergy. Department employees and council members work together to bring awareness to the family councils to encourage participation. (Participation is strictly voluntary.)
Local Family Councils
Each prison facility maintains a Local Family Council (LFC). Family council meetings provide opportunity for family members to ask questions, get information, and share their perspective of the facility. All approved visitors may attend a family council meeting.
In addition to family members, meetings are generally attended by the facility Superintendent or Associate Superintendent, Visiting Program staff representative, Family Services Program staff representative, and others as needed. At most facilities participants can attend in person or over the phone by calling in on a toll free number.
Scheduled Meetings, Agendas & Minutes
The LFC Facility Secretary and Family Secretary member officers will each take minutes during the meeting, and then will work together to finalize a single draft of official minutes using DOC 03-513 Family Council Meeting Minutes.
Up to two years meeting's agendas and minutes will be posted for each LFC. See the LFC Representatives with questions.
Family members who want to become a council member and take an active leadership role must be an approved visitor and agree to the following:
- One year commitment
- Attend scheduled meetings
- Wear designated identification when performing local council functions
- Support the efforts of the local council
- Able to demonstrate the ability to work with respect, common courtesy, and good judgment.
- Complete the DOC 03-512 Local Family Council Application.
- Submit the application to your Local Family Council Representative. If the facility does not currently have Local Family Council Representatives, submit your application to the appropriate DOC Regional Liaison.
Completed applications will be reviewed by the Family Council Chair, Family Secretary, Superintendent, and Visit Sergeant/Leiutenant. After initial screening, applications will be voted upon by the local council members. Applicants will be notified of the result by email.
Statewide Family Council
The Department maintains a Statewide Family Council (SFC) comprised of one elected representative from each Local Family Council (LFC), along with the Statewide Program Manager. Any family member who is approved to visit an inmate housed in a Department facility may attend an SFC meeting as a participant.
10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
|Meeting Schedule & Materials|
|See the Statewide Family Council Calendar for all statewide and local council meeting dates.|
|September 28, 2019||Agenda|
|July 13, 2019||Agenda||Minutes|
|May 18, 2019||Agenda||Minutes|
|March 16, 2019||Agenda||Minutes|
|February 23, 2019||Executive Session Minutes|
|January 19, 2019||Agenda||Minutes|
|November 17, 2018||Agenda||Minutes|
|September 15, 2018||Agenda||Minutes|
|July 21, 2018||Agenda||Minutes|
|May 19, 2018||Agenda||Minutes|
|March 17, 2018||Agenda||Minutes|
|January 20, 2018||Agenda||Minutes|
|November 18, 2017||Agenda||Minutes|
|September 16, 2017||Agenda||Minutes|
|July 15, 2017||Agenda||Minutes|
|May 20, 2017||Agenda||Minutes|
|March 18, 2017||Agenda||Minutes|
|January 21, 2017||Agenda||Minutes|