The Department of Corrections believes that consistent use of recognition is a key in inspiring employees, creating a positive work environment, and reducing turnover.
The Employee Recognition program was established to provide DOC employees with opportunities to recognize co–workers for their outstanding achievements. Bestowing honor on our co–workers helps recognize the merit of our most valuable asset — employees. The process of recognizing someone by remembering their outstanding accomplishments is a great way to acknowledge everyone’s efforts at DOC.
The Annual Agency Awards are given annually to peer-nominated staff.
Annual Agency Awards
Classification Counselor of the Year
- Presented to a Classification Counselor who models the highest standard of ethics and accountability. They are responsive to individuals and/or their families, and treat others with dignity, fairness, and respect. This counselor exemplifies teamwork, has strong communication skills, and provides sound decision making. S/he is a positive role model and maintains professionalism at all times. Two recipients will be chosen.
Community Service Award
- Presented to an employee who gives time, effort and talent to a community or a cause without profiting monetarily. This employee volunteer's his/her off-duty time by stepping outside of their familiar environment for the benefit of the public. One recipient will be chosen.
Correctional Officer/Community Corrections Officer of the Year
- Presented to an officer whose performance goes above and beyond normal requirements and who demonstrates their commitment to the Department's Goals and Mission. This officer maintains a positive attitude, provides sound decision making, and a strong commitment to teamwork. S/he is an effective communicator, treating others with dignity, fairness, and respect. S/he is a positive role model and maintains professionalism at all times. Twenty recipients will be chosen.
- Presented to an employee who understands the concept of diversity and embraces the acceptance and respect of others. They understand that each person is unique and recognizes individual differences. These differences include the dimensions of race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious beliefs, political beliefs, or other ideologies. They provide a safe, positive, and nurturing environment while exploring these differences. This employee understands others and moves beyond simple tolerance to embrace and celebrate the rich dimensions of diversity. One recipient will be chosen.
Employee of the Year
- Presented to an employee who consistently exhibits superior job performance and displays a strong work ethic. This employee strives for continuous improvement, promotes alternatives to traditional thinking, and demonstrates creativity and innovation in accomplishing their duties. S/he is a strong team player with good communication skills, as well as being detail oriented, self-disciplined and not afraid to take initiative. This employee plays a vital role in contributing to a safe and supportive work environment. Twenty recipients will be chosen.
Excellence in Safety Award
- Presented to an employee for their significant contributions to creating a safe work environment. They exhibit a continued commitment to jobsite safety and their safety practices are judged to be exemplary. This recipient also emphasizes accident prevention as an integral part of all activities. One recipient will be chosen.
Innovation Team Award
- This award is given to a team of department employees who have developed new and creative ways of doing business to drive the organization forward. When presented with a problem or challenge, they question existing assumptions and beliefs to produce a wide range of suggestions and solutions. Innovation is a priority among team members and they approach it with a practical, task-oriented mindset. One team will be recognized.
- Presented to an employee who exemplifies leadership qualities. This employee has met significant agency/unit goals or has served tirelessly to meet agency initiatives. They helped a unit/department/facility/section/division envision the future, identify paths to success and carry out a vision. They displayed amazing leadership skills and provided guidance for their teams. This employee exhibited integrity, collaboration and intellectual, emotional and social growth. They actively support advancement, by leading others to higher levels of success while encouraging innovation and risk taking. Two recipients will be chosen.
Team Excellence Award
- This award recognizes outstanding teamwork within a group of department employees. The award promotes the spirit of teamwork within departments and between units. They have outstanding performance results due to group achievement. They are recognized for their superior performance and reinforce the collaboration and partnership necessary to achieve agency goals. This team's cohesiveness is articulated and demonstrated by example. One team will be recognized.
Petrine Marciniak Inspirational Award
- Presented to an employee who, when confronted with a life-threatening situation, used perseverance, dedication and determination to overcome while demonstrating an exceptionally high standard of professionalism and dedication on the job. S/he now serves as a role model to give hope and inspiration to others in similar situations. One recipient will be chosen. (The distinct nature of this award will determine if an award will be presented.)
Supervisor of the Year
- Presented to an employee who is in a supervisory position, who consistently displays the highest standard of ethics and fairness. Fosters a culture that is based on organizational values and coaches staff to be successful. Establishes an atmosphere of mutual respect and trust, which encourages an open exchange of ideas. S/He is an effective communicator and clearly defines expectations. This supervisor holds others accountable, while providing ongoing feedback to improve employee job performance. They are diligent in recognizing individual employee and team contributions and accomplishments. Ten recipients will be chosen.
- Presented to an employee who distinguished him/herself by showing great courage or bravery in the face of danger. It must be demonstrated that s/he was aware of the seriousness of the situation that demanded immediate action to prevent the possibility of injury or death to staff or individuals under the jurisdiction of the department. One recipient will be chosen (The distinct nature of this award will determine if an award will be presented.)