Dog Training and Adoption Programs
All Washington prisons operate some kind of animal training or adoption program. These animal–focused programs help connect offenders with living things which is a cornerstone of the Department’s Sustainability in Prisons Project. The programs benefit local communities, teach the offenders responsibility and provide an incentive to maintain positive behavior while incarcerated.
Service Animal Training Programs
Four prisons have partnered with organizations that provide service animals to people with disabilities.
The offenders train the dogs in advanced obedience and specialized skills to assist people with daily activities.
- Cedar Creek Corrections Center – Brigadoon Service Dogs
- Monroe Correctional Complex – Summit Assistance Dogs
- Mission Creek Corrections Center for Women – Prison Pet Partnership
- Stafford Creek Corrections Center – Brigadoon Service Dogs
- Washington Corrections Center – Law Enforcement Training
- Washington Corrections Center for Women – Prison Pet Partnership
Dog Adoption Programs
Most prisons have formed partnerships with local non–profit groups to create programs in which offenders train troubled dogs how to be obedient pets that can be adopted.
- Airway Heights Corrections Center – Pawsitive Dogs in partnership with Spokanimal
- Clallam Bay Corrections Center – Welfare Animal Guild
- Coyote Ridge Corrections Center – Ridge Dogs in partnership with Benton Franklin Humane Society, Adams County Pet Rescue and Forgotten Dogs Rescue
- Olympic Corrections Center – Olympic Peninsula Humane Society
- Stafford Creek Corrections Center – Freedom Tails in partnership with Harbor Association of Volunteers for Animals (HAVA)
- Washington State Penitentiary – Blue Mountain Humane Society
Cat Adoption Programs
Three prisons operate programs for cats. The offenders socialize cats from local shelters that are deemed too unsocial or dangerous to be adopted. After socialization the cats are returned to the non–profits for adoption.
- Larch Corrections Center – Larch Cat Adoption Program (LCAP) in partnership with West Columbia Gorge Humane Society and Humane Society for SW Washington
- Mission Creek Corrections Center for Women – Positive Prison Program in partnership with Kitsap Humane Society
- Monroe Correctional Complex – Kitten Connections in partnership with Purrfect Pals No–kill Shelter