INFOGRAPHIC: Hispanic Heritage Month
Hispanic Heritage Month is September 15 to October 15. It celebrates the history and culture of people whose ancestors come from Spain, Mexico, the Caribbean and Central and South Americas.
- An estimated 2,487 inmates in Washington state prisons identify as Hispanic. This accounts for about 13.1 percent of the state’s total inmate population.
Source: Washington State Department of Corrections
- An estimated 858,000 residents in the state of Washington identify as Hispanic. This equates to around 12 percent of the state’s total population.
Source: Pew Hispanic Resource Center
- Around 55 million people in the United States identified as Hispanic in 2014. Hispanics made up about 17 percent of the U.S. population that year.
Source: U.S. Census Bureau
- National Hispanic Heritage Month
- “Facts About Offenders in Confinement,” Washington State Department of Corrections, September 2016.
- “Demographic Profile of Hispanics in Washington,” Pew Hispanic Research Center, 2014.
- “Profile America Facts For Features: Hispanic Heritage Month 2015,” in the United States Census.